13A- Reading reflection No.1
Phil Knight is by far one of
the most inspirational people to me of all time. Me being a huge sports fan you
can only admire the brand he has created for sports around the world. I was
surprised with the amount of name brand companies in the shoe world in 1963, I
thought it would of all been older companies that didn't pan out but Puma and
Adidas were prevalent at the time. I admired the never say die attitude that
Knight had. He went all the way over to Japan to research the shoe markets and
finally cut out Japan to create Nike. Honestly, I think at the time he should
of thought bigger. He wasn't dreaming big enough. He just wanted a little shoe
store rather than starting a brand but eventually his aspirations grew to what
Nike is today. His biggest adversity he encountered was cutting out Japan and
creating his own company. Japan was giving him the scraps of what they didn't
sell and the demand in the United States was so high he had to make a choice
and luckily he made the correct one. What confused me the most was that i
didn't understand why Knight wouldn't just create his own company in the USA
rather than wasting time with Japan. If i had the chance to meet Phil Knight I
would ask him what are the necessities or people to a successful sports company
and I would ask for his insight on creating a global brand like Nike. I think
his opinion he would say that hard work would be the back bone of his success.
No successful company was ever created off laziness. Work ethic is an intangible
skill to success.
What's crazy is that most people probably have never even heard of Phil Knight despite him having started Nike. I do know that Adidas was started by a shoemaker who fought in WW1. I think starting in Japan was vital to his success in America as he probably took away many important lessons from his time there.
ReplyDeleteWow man this moved me.
ReplyDeleteI am so inspired by your words johnny I wish you the best, phil knight is a great being and figurehead in life. He always wanted to do one more rep like myself in the gym. Today I thought about quitting when doing the 15 pound dumbbells for bench press but this story inspired me to go and eat cake while having drinks with my friends instead.
Best,
Matthew Nguyen